[ensembl-dev] Ensembl Usage Survey for JEnsembl

PATERSON Trevor trevor.paterson at roslin.ed.ac.uk
Tue Jul 5 10:23:52 BST 2011

Ensembl Usage Survey

We are currently developing a Java API to Ensembl as an alternative
to Ensembl's Perl API for data access (http://jensembl.sourceforge.net/).

Our prototype code architecture accesses various demonstration data types
from the Core and Compara schema, and we would like to prioritize future
functionality.

To help us do this we are keen to discover how bioinformaticians currently
use the Ensembl datasources and Perl API in particular, and which features
of a Java API might be of most use to future application developers.

Please take a few minutes to complete our online survey at:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MFD9G36
and help us to prioritize future development of our JEnsembl API.

Please forward this email to colleagues that might be interested,
or let us know of any mail lists that might be relevant.

If you are interested in seeing how the JEnsembl API might be used in
graphical applications to provide access to Ensembl datasources,
we have made use of JEnsembl in two demonstration applications:

 1.  ArkMAP, a map drawing tool that can download, draw and align
homologies between chromosome maps from any Ensembl Datasource
and from ArkDB
http://jensembl.sourceforge.net/arkmap.html
 2.  A plug-in for the Savant Genome Browser that allows gene maps
and sequences to be downloaded from Ensembl
http://jensembl.sourceforge.net/savant.html

Thanks you for help.

Trevor Paterson and Andy Law
roslin.bioinformatics at roslin.ed.ac.uk<mailto:roslin.bioinformatics at roslin.ed.ac.uk>

Bioinformatics
The Roslin Institute
Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies
University of Edinburgh
Easter Bush
Midlothian
EH25 9RG
Scotland UK

phone +44 (0)131 651 9157

http://bioinformatics.roslin.ed.ac.uk/

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland with registration number SC005336
Disclaimer:This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the recipient(s) to whom they are addressed. If you have received it in error, please destroy all copies and inform the sender.