[ensembl-dev] variation failed description

Andrea Edwards edwardsa at cs.man.ac.uk
Sat Jan 15 00:22:05 GMT 2011

Hi

I believe when ensembl imports variations it makes certain sanity checks
on the variation and classifies the variation as ok or failed. The
failed descriptions in the database are:

mysql> select distinct description from failed_description;
| description                                            |
| Variation maps to more than 3 different locations      |
| None of the variant alleles match the reference allele |
| Variation has more than 3 different alleles            |
| Loci with no observed variant alleles in dbSNP         |
| Variation does not map to the genome                   |
| Variation has no associated sequence                   |
6 rows in set (0.06 sec)

None of these descriptions suggest that non synonymous coding snps are
checked to see if:
a)  the reference amino acid in the amino acid allele string is the
correct amino acid at that position in the protein product
b) the alternative allele would indeed produce the non synonymous amino
acid specified

Is this correct? I am trying to establish if i need to perform these
checks myself.

Thanks