[ensembl-dev] automated annotation.

Sébastien Letort sebastien.letort at inserm.fr
Sat Feb 26 22:20:30 GMT 2011

Hello,

For my team work, I have to seek informations about gene MC1R.
For EnsEMBL annotation, this gene does not exist. It seems to be
integrated with the following TUBB3 gene.
(http://www.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Lucene/Details?species=Homo_sapiens;idx=Gene;end=1;q=mc1r)

Supporting evidence
(http://www.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Transcript/SupportingEvidence?db=core;g=ENSG00000198211;r=16:89985667-90002505;t=ENST00000304984)
show that only one transcript merge both genes.
This transcript is registred in Uniprot as Q7KZS6.

This transcript seems dubious to me. EBI links given by Uniprot do not work.

What I really don't understand is why only one non reviewed transcript
prevail over the three others (at least one reviewed) as far as MC1R is
concerned.
Futhermore, annotation do not mention the VEGA MC1R.
(http://vega.sanger.ac.uk/Homo_sapiens/Gene/Summary?db=core;g=OTTHUMG00000073355;r=16:89984287-89987393;t=OTTHUMT00000155501),
but is presented as "EnsEMBL/Havana merge gene" which makes me think at
first that even reviewed annotation do not know MC1R.

Because MC1R is central for my team, people in my lab do not trust
EnsEMBL annotation at all.

Can someone explain me the loose of MC1R and if it will be back in
future release ?

Thanks,

--
Sébastien Letort, bio-informaticien
Genetic Variation and Human Diseases Lab