[ensembl-dev] [SPAM] - Re: [SPAM] - Re: [SPAM] - Re: Transcript variation alleles - Email found in subject - Email found in subject - Email found in subject

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Feb 2 16:36:55 GMT 2011

### just re-posting this to dev as the list didn't like the message getting
too long ###

A variation is defined by its alleles and a pair of flanking sequence, e.g.:

ATCGTACTGTACGTGTTTATCG [A/G] TGACTTACTATCGTATGACTT

dbSNP (or in some cases Ensembl) use sequence alignment algorithms to map
this sequence to the genomic reference sequence. If it maps to the reverse
strand, we create a variation_feature on the reverse strand. In some cases
the sequence may map more than once, hence a variation object can have
multiple associated variation_feature objects. This is easier to see on the
web views:

http://www.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Variation/Summary?v=rs78197743;vdb=variation

As I mentioned, it makes our lives easier if most things are on the forward
strand, so we "flip" as many of these reverse strand mappings as we can. We
only do this when a variation has a single mapping to the reverse strand.

Will