[ensembl-dev] Difficulty with finding genes by HUGO name in ensembl database

Harish Mahadevan harish.devan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 20:33:44 GMT 2011

Hi Ensembl dev team,

I recently downloaded the ensembl database and am having some difficulty
finding genes by HUGO name. For example, there is a gene named "BAGE3" that
I couldn't find in the ensembl database;  however, when I searched the
ensembl web site (i.e.
http://useast.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Search/Details?species=Homo_sapiens;idx=Gene;end=2;q=BAGE3
), I found that "BAGE3" appears to be the same gene as "BAGE2".

Could you point me at the right direction for retrieving gene records from
the ensembl database (i.e. gene table in "core" schema) by HUGO name?

regards
Harish