[ensembl-dev] Question about mixing of local and remote connections (Registry)

Marc Hoeppner mphoeppner at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 07:54:10 BST 2011

Hi list,

I am new to using the PERL Api, but have used the Ruby version quite a bit
and am familiar with the data structure and so on. One thing I have yet to
figure out (being relatively new to PERL in general) is how I can connect to
a local installation of e.g. ensembl_compara_63 through the registry. Just
putting in the address, username and password throws an error message when
trying to get the db adaptor for compara

my $db = Bio::EnsEMBL::Registry->get_adaptor('Multi', 'compara',
'GenomeDB');

Can't locate object method "get_adaptor" via package
"Bio::EnsEMBL::Compara::DBSQL::GenomeDBAdaptor" at /home/mh/scripts/
ensembl_test.pl line 15.

Maybe someone could quickly point me to my error - I would very much like to
use parts of EnsEMBL locally, for performance reasons mostly.

Regards,

Marc