[ensembl-dev] Sort biomart output

Andreas Kahari ak at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Sep 21 15:31:55 BST 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 04:14:51PM +0200, Asraniel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i was wondering if there was a way to sort the output of biomart. I suppose
> behind biomart there is just a sql query, so it should be possible to define
> the row that should be sorted. But i didn't find a way yet.
>
> Thank you
>
> Beat Wolf

Hi,

To be able to show results on the screen quickly, the SQL query is
processed in batches of increasing sizes.  The first batch is limited
to 10 results, the next to 20, 40, and so on up to some large number.
Ordering the result would make BioMart extremely unresponsive, and would
probably provoke the user to ask for results multiple times out of
frustration, overloading the database server.

Andreas

--
Andreas Kähäri, Ensembl Software Developer
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton