[ensembl-dev] unmapped/un-displayable SNP from dbsnp

Neil Walker neil.walker at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 8 16:33:34 BST 2010

Hi all

let's say this *is* a triallelic SNP. Then you've got 2 problems:

[1] dbSNP appears to have or used to have trouble automatically reverse
complementing a triallelic SNP;

[2] my /guess/ is that most of the population diversity information was
derived from an Affymetrix or Illumina chip - it is on the Illumina
HumanHap550v3 GWAS chip for example - and these can only measure 2 alleles.

This will record genotypes /as if/ a third allele is not present, and
this information then hits the databases "confirming" that there are
only 2 alleles, while it is confirming only that 2 alleles were measured.

However, any person having the unmeasured allele will either be missing
a genotype, or appear to be homozygous for their other allele depending
on genotype calling algorithm.

Which means, if you're looking up Ensembl and/or dbSNP because you have
interesting results at rs1053738, then you should doubt them.

Cheers
Neil

Neil Walker                         email: neil.walker at cimr.cam.ac.uk
JDRF/WT Diabetes and Inflammation   tel: +44 (0)1223 763210
	Laboratory		    fax: +44 (0)1223 762102
Cambridge, UK                    http://www-gene.cimr.cam.ac.uk/todd/