[ensembl-dev] Registry->get_adaptor and magic strings

Daniel Sobral sobral at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Nov 26 10:39:48 GMT 2010

Some people during a recent API course commented that
Registry->get_adaptor() should return a warning or throw an error when
invalid parameters are passed, instead of just returning undef. I also
tend to agree with them.

Also, is there an easy / recommended way of knowing all the valid
adaptors I can get with the registry?
I think this goes back to the topic of Ensembl API 'magic strings' that
I see sometimes mentioned in the dev mailing list.
These should be minimized, or at least there should be obvious methods
where we could find them.
Maybe there is and I just don't know about it...

Any opinion/help is most welcome.

Thanks,
Daniel