[ensembl-dev] relationship between api and database release

Andreas Kahari ak at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Nov 17 10:30:56 GMT 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:20:35AM +0000, Andreas Kahari wrote:
> hi Andrea,
[cut]
> > What would happen if i was using version 59 of the perl api against
> > a local database installation of say version 57?
>
> Depending on what parts of the API you were using, it may work.  Between
> release 57 and 58 we had no schema patches.  Between release 58 and 59
> we changed a field in the splicing_event table and the API changed to
> reflect this.  So if you're looking at splicing events, the code will
> break.

Oh, I forgot; This only cover the Core databases and API.  There might
have been further changes in the Compara, Variation and Regulation
schemas and APIs that would make your program crash or produce the wrong
results.

If you want to look into what changed in the schemas for each release,
look in the CVS repository for the patch_XX_YY_z.sql files, in
ensembl/sql (for Core), in ensembl-variation/sql (for Variation), in
ensembl-compara/sql (for Compara), and in ensembl-functgenomics/sql (for
Regulation).

Andreas

--
Andreas Kähäri, Ensembl Software Developer
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus