[ensembl-dev] Developer position available at the Vertebrate Genomics team

Ilkka Lappalainen ilkka at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Nov 8 19:39:27 GMT 2010

Hi,

We have a position available at the Vertebrate Genomics team for a
software developer.

We are looking for a person interested in database designing and
implementation and automatization of the existing pipelines. The full
job description is copied below and more information how to apply is
available here: http://www.embl.de/aboutus/jobs/

I am happy to answer any questions regarding the position by email.

Kind regards,

Ilkka
--
Ilkka Lappalainen
Variation Archive Project Leader

Phone +44 1223 492630
Email ilkka at ebi.ac.uk

We are looking for a highly motivated and skilled bioinformatician to
join the Variation Archive Group, which is part of the Vertebrate
Genomics team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI) located
on the Wellcome Trust Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.

The Archive group is responsible for all types of genetic variations
observed in indivuduals of any species and the bioinformatician will
undertake the following duties:

• Liaising with the data submitters and providing user support for our
data users;
• Integration and curation of new submissions into the archive;
• Development and maintenance of our data management pipeline;
• Working in international collaboration projects, especially with the
corresponding archives at the   NCBI;
• Presenting at conferences

The EBI, part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), is
a world-leading bioinformatics centre providng biological data to the
scientific community with expertise in data storage, analysis and
representation. The Vertebrate Genomics Team at the EBI also includes
the European Genome-phenome Archive (EGA), 1000 Genomes data
coordination centre (DCC) and the Ensembl project. This environment
provides access to an international collection of projects at the
cutting edge of human variation research.

For further information please visit www.ebi.ac.uk
Qualifications and Experience
Applicants should have a Masters degree or PhD in bioinformatics,
computer science, or genetics with significant experience in
bioinformatics. (S)he must be comfortable working in a UNIX/Linux
environment and have experience of Perl and relational databases such
as MySQL. Experience working with large datasets, especially with
structural variations would be highly advantageous as would experience
with the existing Ensembl code base.

The successful candidate must show strong self motivation and be able
to work both independently and as part of a closely interacting team
of international scientists. Skills delivering a high quality product
within fixed deadlines are essential.

Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are essential.