[ensembl-dev] gene biotypes

Andreas Kahari ak at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Nov 1 14:08:00 GMT 2010

Hi Andrea,

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 02:00:22PM +0000, Andrea Edwards wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm sorry for the basic question but is there some documentation
> describing the different fields in the ensembl database. I've found
> a schema document online
>
> http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/api/core/core_schema.html
>
> but this didn't help me find the information i was looking for. In
> this instance I was looking for the list of values for gene biotype
> field. This document didn't list/explain all the fields in each
> table.
>
> I did find the list of fields from a 'select distinct' query on the
> database.
>
> thanks for your help

If you're using straight SQL you can get the list of gene biotypes
through the following query:

  SELECT DISTINCT biotype FROM gene;

As for what each biotype means, our genebuilders (or our
helpdesk at ensembl.org) will be able to answer that.

Kind regards,
Andreas

--
Andreas Kähäri, Ensembl Software Developer
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus