[ensembl-dev] getting watson snps

Andrea Edwards edwardsa at cs.man.ac.uk
Thu Dec 9 13:46:06 GMT 2010

Dear all

I've tried downloading watson snps from biomart by a) the whole set and
b) chromosome by chromosome and i can't get the data. I have tried
requesting the data by email (no email received) and direct download
(download starts but at a rate of 1kb per second and times out after
about 12 hours/10 mb downloaded).

I have written a script to get the watson snps via the perl api but that
is running and taking hours so I am scared I will get my ip blocked!
There are 3 million snps and it took an hour to get 3000 i think

I was thinking of getting the human databases directly but i am awaiting
a new machine and totally out of disk space. Does anyone you know how
big the human core and variation databases are when installed?

thanks a lot