[ensembl-dev] getting the entrez gene id from an ensembl record

Matthew Astley mca at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Dec 2 13:47:34 GMT 2010

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 11:00:11AM +0000, Andreas Kahari wrote:

> Do you think that get_all_xrefs() is a good alias name for
> get_all_DBLinks()?

Does get_all_related_xrefs() better describe the meaning?  Is it worth
21 characters?

Also, is it useful to accept parameters to a) limit the search type or
depth and b) cause the results to return in a way that indicates the
relationship? </featurecreep>

> And can we use get_all_object_xrefs() (i.e. "get all xrefs from this
> object, not from its constituent parts") as an alias for
> get_all_DBEntries()?

get_all_direct_xrefs() would describe this better for me.

> Any better suggestions?

(My suggestions are based what I've read in this thread.  I have no
special understanding of Ensembl's xrefs, nor have I used them much
yet.)

--
Matthew