[ensembl-announce] Ensembl launches COVID-19 resource

Astrid Gall agall at ebi.ac.uk
Tue May 19 09:39:38 BST 2020

Dear all

We are pleased to announce that Ensembl has joined the international scientific effort to tackle the COVID-19 pandemic today. Our SARS-CoV-2 genome browser and related resources at covid-19.ensembl.org are intended to support both basic research and ongoing work to develop treatments, diagnostics and vaccines.

Highlights of this initial release include:
Gene annotation of the reference genome ‘Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 isolate Wuhan-Hu-1’ (MN908947.3) using a modified Ensembl genebuild supported by protein evidence
Gene annotation from the Shanghai Public Health Clinical Center & School of Public Health, Fudan University, Shanghai, China, via ENA
Information on gene functions from Gene Ontology
Variation data from Nextstrain with consequence predictions and nucleotide frequencies for individual isolates, as well as grouped by clades and countries
Problematic variant sites as defined by De Maio et al
Protein and genomic features from InterProScan

The release blog post with all details can be viewed here.

We will continue to add new data and expand this resource in future releases. Like for all Ensembl data, we place no restrictions on the use of our COVID-19 resources. Whole genome databases can be downloaded from our FTP server.

In addition, the GENCODE project is updating the annotation of human protein-coding genes linked to COVID-19; please see this blog post for details and how to access the data in Ensembl.

Our new COVID-19 resource is part of a wider effort at EMBL-EBI to advance SARS-CoV-2 research by open data sharing through the COVID-19 Data Portal.

SARS-CoV-2 is the first virus we have added to our growing resource of more than 45,000 genomes. We hope this will be useful and we welcome your thoughts on it. Please email us to give feedback.

Best regards,

Astrid

On behalf of the Ensembl team

--

Dr Astrid Gall

Ensembl Outreach Officer

European Molecular Biology Laboratory - European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI)

Wellcome Genome Campus

Hinxton, Cambridge

CB10 1SD

United Kingdom