[ensembl-announce] US East coast Ensembl mirror now available

Glenn Proctor glenn at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Nov 10 16:27:06 GMT 2010

We are pleased to announce the public availability of a second Ensembl
mirror in the USA. This can be found at http://useast.ensembl.org/ .
This provides a fully functional Ensembl website, but there are some
things to note which I've listed below.

REDIRECTION

We don't automatically redirect users to the new mirror, although we
have plans for this in future. So for now you'll need to explicitly
visit http://useast.ensembl.org/ to access it.

USER LOGINS

If you use the login functionality, your existing login will work on
http://useast.ensembl.org/ , although configuration changes will not
be reflected between sites. We plan to support shared logins very
soon.

OTHER SERVICES

We don't yet offer the Biomart or BLAST/BLAT services on the new
mirror; these will come in the near future. We currently have no plans
to offer a US-based MySQL mirror, so you should continue use
ensembldb.ensembl.org for MySQL queries.

We're very keen to hear your experiences with this new mirror,
particularly from our US users, please use the Helpdesk
(http://www.ensembl.org/Help/Contact) in the first instance, or
contact me directly. We also have advanced plans for mirrors in other
parts of the world, so stay tuned!

Glenn.