[ensembl-dev] fetch all within species paralogous genes

Matthieu Muffato muffato at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Apr 17 14:17:45 BST 2012

Dear Shaohua

The most efficient way is probably to use the fetch_all_by_MethodLinkSpeciesSet_orthology_type() method from the HomologyAdaptor

You first have to create a MethodLinkSpeciesSet object
my $mlss_adaptor = $reg->get_adaptor("Multi", "compara", "MethodLinkSpeciesSet");
my $mlss = $mlss_adaptor->fetch_by_method_link_type_registry_aliases("ENSEMBL_PARALOGUES", ["human"]);
This object describes which kind of data you want, and on which species

Then, you can retrieve the homologies:
my $homology_adaptor = $reg->get_adaptor("Multi", "compara", "Homology");
my $all_paralogues = $homology_adaptor->fetch_all_by_MethodLinkSpeciesSet_orthology_type($mlss, "within_species_paralog");

This method can be extended to orthologues and to pairs of species. It is the fastest when it comes to fetch big sets of homologues

Hope this helps,
Matthieu